HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99681
05/27/08 02:55 PM
05/27/08 02:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
This quote tells us we should use our reasoning powers. It's not reasonable to assume that all the resurrected wicked will know English.

Tom, this quote does not support your interpretation. It doesn’t even support your opinion. You could apply this principle to any anything, whether true or false. If a person is unable to back up a particular theory with inspired quotes, then do you think it would be smart or safe to advocate it publicly?

You're not going far enough here, MM. She says that everyone will say with one voice, "Blessed is the One who comes in then name of the Lord!" (from memory; might be slightly wrong). This means, if you're going to take this literally, that everyone will be resurrected knowing English.

Well, considering the fact nearly all the world knows English, it is not all that difficult to believe Jesus will resurrect them with “one voice”. Do you really believe God is incapable of raising everyone speaking one voice?

Do you also reject the story in the Bible where God made everyone all of sudden speak in different languages? One minute everyone is speaking with one voice, and the next minute they are speaking many different languages. How do you explain it? Did God use force or compulsion? Did He violate their freedom of choice?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99682
05/27/08 03:35 PM
05/27/08 03:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
"With one voice" means "in full agreement."

If we were to take it to the EXTREME literal, it would mean that somehow only one voice in the crowd was speaking! Obviously, that is not the case. Even the best choir in the world will not sound like one voice.

I do not believe that "with one voice" necessarily means the words are the same, nor that they are spoken in the same cadence, rhythm, or timing...only that their minds are in complete agreement, and their message is the same.

Quote:

Unanimity is complete agreement by everyone. When unanimous, everybody is of same mind and acting together as an undiversified whole. Many groups consider unanimous decisions a sign of agreement, solidarity, and unity.

Modern Example:

"With one voice, House OKs teen driving bill...SPRINGFIELD - Without a single dissenting vote, the Illinois House on Wednesday sent to the governor..."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99683
05/27/08 03:45 PM
05/27/08 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
If you were here in person, and saw the look on my face and heard the tone in my voice, you would not suspect I was being sarcastic. I am dubious, doubtful, incredulous – but certainly not sarcastic. But thank you for calling me on it. I hope you accept my answer.

I accept your answer. Please keep in mind that I don't have the luxury of hearing your tone of voice, and so forth, so reading certain things can be painful. Given it is not your intention to be hurtful, please read what you are writing before posting it, as if you were reading it from someone to yourself and see how it sounds.

I'm not saying I'm guiltless in this regard, as I may inadvertently say painful things to you as well. I will say that I very often tone down what I'm writing to you because I'm aware of this unfortunate circumstance in conversing on the internet that you've pointed out, regarding the lack of being able to hear one's tone of voice, body language, etc.

You've got it, buddy. I definitely appreciate the effort you put forth to ensure your posts do not unnecessarily offend. I will try to do better in the future.

TE: I fear if I say something is not literal that you will misunderstand and think it's not real. Everything that's written here will really happen, but what exactly happens requires reason and intellect to understand.

MM: I’m glad you agree what she says and describes in the following quote is “real”. Don’t worry about confusing me, you’ve already accomplished that by saying what she wrote here isn’t real...

TE: I just said it was real. I never said it wasn't real. Why are you saying I'm confusing you by saying what she wrote her isn't real when I said the reverse? If you decide to take what I write to be the reverse of what I'm writing, that will no doubt lead to confusion.

MM: ... that we cannot take what she wrote literally because it is a vision, and visions must be interpreted using information collected from other books and passages. Which you haven’t done yet, that is, you haven’t quoted other places where she describes the exact same scenes with different conclusions.

TE: I've mentioned DA 764, GC 541-543, DA 108 many, many times.

MM: Yes, you’ve quoted other things she has written, but they do not cover the same scenes.

TE: Clearly DA 764 is dealing with the destruction of the wicked, as well as GC 541-543 and DA 108.

Tom, here’s what you wrote earlier: “I think your ideas regarding the GC passage contradict DA 764. I think your ideas are incorrect. I think the problem lies in your interpretation of the GC passage. I interpret it differently. In the way I interpret, it's in harmony with DA 764. That's one of the reasons I prefer my interpretation to yours. I see in the GC passage that you quoted from a description of a vision. Visions have elements which are symbolic and elements which are literal. We have to figure out which is which. I'm using these other passages to help me figure this out.”

From this I gather you believe GC 662-665 is a description of a vision. Do you also think she is attempting to share her interpretation of the vision? Or, is she leaving it up to the non-SDA reader to research her other books in order to decode and decipher it? I say non-SDA reader because of the fact the GC was written to non-SDA readers.

MM: At any rate, I’ll answer the following questions by making the right answer bold. I've also included a few comments here and there. Tell me if you agree or disagree, and why.

TE: I already commented regarding this on #99656. For example, I wrote this: For example, when she writes that the wicked are as numberless as the sands of the sea, this is not literally true. For one thing, the sands of the sea are not literally numberless (which means not countable, which is to say infinite). For another, there are many orders of magnitude more sands of the sea than there are wicked people at the judgment. However, anyone with a little reason and intellect can easily understand the meaning here, which actually quoting from Scripture, which is that will a whole lot of people involved.

Do you disagree with this? Or do you think there will be an infinite number of wicked? Do you think there are as many wicked as there are sands in the sea?

The number of grains of sand in the world are estimated at 10^22. Of course, many of these are not on the sea, but it's easy to see this is a much higher number than the number of wicked, which would be in the order of 10^9. So the true number is not even close. Obviously this phrase was not meant to be taken literally.

I addressed this point in my previous post, but I’ll speak more about it here, too. Again, here is what she wrote: “They come forth, a mighty host, numberless as the sands of the sea.” As you said, this expression is biblical. It is a Jewish expression. It is similar to the following passage: “After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues.”

Either it is true or it is a hyperbole. There is no reason why we cannot accept it at face value. When John wrote this it was true. The technology did not exist for one man in those days to number such a vast throng of people. I doubt it can be done today with all of our advancements. Think of what it would take for us today to count billions upon billions of people all by ourselves. You might be able to do it if everyone cooperated like they supposed to during a census count, and if you had a good computer.

But John wasn’t thinking of a computer when he said the great multitude was so numerous as to be impossible to count. Instead, he was thinking of the technology available to him, which indeed was inadequate to do the job. So, with this in mind, I have no trouble believing John literally meant it was impossible for one man to count them by himself.

So, again, which parts of the following excerpt from GC 662 are literal and which parts are symbolic? I've given my answers, do you agree with them? Please note that I've also made comments and asked questions.

1. At the close of the thousand years, Christ again returns to the earth. [Literal or Symbolic]

2. He is accompanied by the host of the redeemed and attended by a retinue of angels. [Literal or Symbolic]

3. As He descends in terrific majesty He bids the wicked dead arise to receive their doom. [Literal or Symbolic]

4. They come forth, a mighty host, numberless as the sands of the sea. [Literal or Symbolic] The expression “numberless as” does not mean it is impossible to count. Nor does it mean there are as many wicked raised as there are grains of sand. It simply means there are a lot of people that come forth.

5. What a contrast to those who were raised at the first resurrection! The righteous were clothed with immortal youth and beauty. The wicked bear the traces of disease and death. [Literal or Symbolic]

6. Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. [Literal or Symbolic] They literally see the glory of Christ without dying or desiring to die. Do you agree?

7. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" [Literal or Symbolic] I already know you disagree with me on this point. Can you prove it?

8. It is not love to Jesus that inspires this utterance. [Literal or Symbolic]

9. The force of truth urges the words from unwilling lips. [Literal or Symbolic] I’m pretty sure you disagree with me on this one, since you do not believe God employs force or compulsion. Also, please notice that the "truth" does not cause them to die nor does it cause them to desire death. I mention this point because you commented earlier that the truth will cause them to seek death. Right?

10. As the wicked went into their graves, so they come forth with the same enmity to Christ and the same spirit of rebellion. [Literal or Symbolic] I’m not sure if you agree with me on this one, since I’m not sure if you believe everyone who is lost is rebellious. What do you believe?

11. They are to have no new probation in which to remedy the defects of their past lives. Nothing would be gained by this. A lifetime of transgression has not softened their hearts. [Literal or Symbolic]

12. A second probation, were it given them, would be occupied as was the first in evading the requirements of God and exciting rebellion against Him. [Literal or Symbolic] Again, I’m not sure if you agree with me on this one for the same reason mentioned above.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99684
05/27/08 03:49 PM
05/27/08 03:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Green Cochoa, yes, it is true we sometimes use the expression "with one voice" to mean "in full agreement". However, even in the example you cited they said the exact same thing - Yea. Not one of them said, Nay. So, as we can see, the expression "with one voice" can mean saying the same thing.

Nevertheless, do you agree with Tom that the following insights imply the wicked will die or desire to die the instant they are exposed to the truth and the glory of God?

GC 662
Every eye in that vast multitude is turned to behold the glory of the Son of God. With one voice the wicked hosts exclaim: "Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!" It is not love to Jesus that inspires this utterance. The force of truth urges the words from unwilling lips.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99686
05/27/08 05:11 PM
05/27/08 05:11 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I simply meant the message was the same, but not necessarily the actual words. It doesn't concern me whether they all speak the same language or not. I don't believe that is at all a part of what Mrs. White is trying to say, though I certainly agree that in God's power, it could happen. It matters not. As for the wicked? They will not _want_ to die. They may wish to hide themselves from God, but I don't believe they are desirous of death. Why would they be taking up arms against the city? Nay, but they will be fighting for their lives.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Green Cochoa] #99700
05/27/08 09:55 PM
05/27/08 09:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, this quote does not support your interpretation. It doesn’t even support your opinion.

My opinion is what the quote said, which spoke of the importance of using our reasoning powers and intellect.

Quote:
You could apply this principle to any anything, whether true or false.

The quote has to do with reasoning, so yes, it can be applied to anything, whether true or false. We should use our reasoning powers and intellect to analyze the meaning of a given statement, whether true or false.

Quote:
If a person is unable to back up a particular theory with inspired quotes, then do you think it would be smart or safe to advocate it publicly?

Yes, that's possible. Certainly much of what Ellen White wrote she was unable to back up with inspired quotes (e.g., much of what she wrote about the fall of Lucifer, or the fall of man).

If the theory has to do with Scripture, of course one should be able to use Scripture to back up one's theory. However, it's not necessary for the theory itself to be in an inspired quote.

Quote:
From this I gather you believe GC 662-665 is a description of a vision. Do you also think she is attempting to share her interpretation of the vision? Or, is she leaving it up to the non-SDA reader to research her other books in order to decode and decipher it? I say non-SDA reader because of the fact the GC was written to non-SDA readers.

What she wrote in GC 541-543 is from the same book, intended for the same readers. Indeed, if one read the book in order, one would have already read what she wrote there, and one could use that to help understand what she wrote later in the book.

Quote:
4. They come forth, a mighty host, numberless as the sands of the sea. [Literal or Symbolic] The expression “numberless as” does not mean it is impossible to count. Nor does it mean there are as many wicked raised as there are grains of sand. It simply means there are a lot of people that come forth.

You say this is literal, but then qualify it in a way that it is not literal. The statement is true, but not literal. If it were literal, then there would be as many wicked as there are grains of sand, which there aren't.

I think I already commented on this, didn't I?

Regarding proving that not everyone will speak English, simply common sense dictates that it is not a reasonable interpretation that everyone will speak English. It's difficult for me to comprehend that you would even consider this as a possibility, or think that Ellen White could possibly have had this in mind. I can just imagine if someone were to ridicule what she wrote here on the basis that not everybody will speak English, that her response would be similar to that in EW 92, that she never intended that what she wrote be interpreted in that way any more than John intended that he be understood as believing that there are dragons in heaven.

Quote:
Nevertheless, do you agree with Tom that the following insights imply the wicked will die or desire to die the instant they are exposed to the truth and the glory of God?

I didn't say this, MM. I would like to ask you, yet again, to please present my ideas with my own words, or at least express my meaning accurately. Here you've added the words "the instant" which I've never said, not even once, and which are not to be found in inspiration.

Here's what I've said regarding this:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.(DA 108)

The same thing which gives life to the righteous will slay the wicked. What is the light of the glory of God? The glory of God is His character.

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7). (GAG 322)

Given that the glory of God is His character, and the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous, how should we understand this phrase? Is not Jesus Christ the life of the righteous? Is it not He who reveals the character of God? Then is it not clear that Jesus Christ is the light of the glory of God?

Now how do the wicked respond to the revelation of the truth? In the GC passage quoted, it says that Christ is uplifted, and by one glance of Christ the wicked's true condition is made known (they become aware of every sin, every place on their path where they turned, etc.) In GC 542, 3 we read:

Quote:
Those who have chosen Satan as their leader and have been controlled by his power are not prepared to enter the presence of God. Pride, deception, licentiousness, cruelty, have become fixed in their characters. Can they enter heaven to dwell forever with those whom they despised and hated on earth? Truth will never be agreeable to a liar; meekness will not satisfy self-esteem and pride; purity is not acceptable to the corrupt; disinterested love does not appear attractive to the selfish. What source of enjoyment could heaven offer to those who are wholly absorbed in earthly and selfish interests?

Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.(GC 542-543)

This brings out how the wicked do not wish to be in heaven. DA 764 gives us more information:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.(DA 764)

So when we put this altogether we see that:

a.The wicked do not wish to be in heaven (their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves).
b.They long to flee from God, from heaven.
c.They love (choose) death.
d.They are destroyed as a result of their own decisions, as opposed to by the power of God.
e.Their destruction comes as a result of the harm they have caused to their own character, which causes God to be to them a consuming fire.

How did EGW know all this? From the visions/dreams she was given by God, and from her own understanding of things, based on her life experience, the teaching of the Holy Spirit, her study of the Scriptures, and so forth.

It seems likely to me that all of these accounts (DA 108, DA 764, GC 543, the latter GC passage) are all based on the same vision. In one account of the vision, towards the end of the GC, she presents a view which is closer to what she actually saw. In the other passages she interprets what she saw, on the basis of her understanding of Scripture, God's character, etc., and we get the comments from DA 108, DA 764, and GC 541-543.

So what I've tried to do is to put these things together in a way that makes sense, so that all four descriptions harmonize.

For example, it seems likely to me that EGW saw fire coming down from heaven to destroy the wicked, and wrote that in the passage from GC towards the end of the book. However, in all the other descriptions of this same event, she describes God as a consuming fire. She doesn't talk about a literal fire anywhere. She says the destruction of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary act of power of God, which would describe God's engulfing them with literal fire, but rather a result of their own choice, describing the result of ruining their characters so that God Himself is to them a consuming fire.

At any rate, I don't see any way of harmonizing the idea that God engulfs the wicked with literal fire with the idea that the same thing which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked. Obviously literal fire does not give life to the righteous. God gives life. Is He represented as fire in Scripture? Yes, He is. Is He literal fire? No.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99714
05/28/08 07:34 PM
05/28/08 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM: Tom, this quote does not support your interpretation. It doesn’t even support your opinion.

TE: My opinion is what the quote said, which spoke of the importance of using our reasoning powers and intellect.

But I asked you to post a quote to support your theory, which you haven’t done yet. Do you really believe God is incapable of raising everyone speaking the same language? Doesn’t the incident at the tower of Babel prove God is able to cause people to speak different languages?

Quote:
MM: From this I gather you believe GC 662-665 is a description of a vision. Do you also think she is attempting to share her interpretation of the vision? Or, is she leaving it up to the non-SDA reader to research her other books in order to decode and decipher it? I say non-SDA reader because of the fact the GC was written to non-SDA readers.

TE: What she wrote in GC 541-543 is from the same book, intended for the same readers. Indeed, if one read the book in order, one would have already read what she wrote there, and one could use that to help understand what she wrote later in the book.

Those pages are not talking about the same scene described on pages 662-665. She says they are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or desiring death. It couldn’t be worded more plainly.

Quote:
TE: Regarding proving that not everyone will speak English, simply common sense dictates that it is not a reasonable interpretation that everyone will speak English.

Does something have to make sense to you before you are willing to accept it? How far are you willing to take this idea? What about Jonah? Does it sound reasonable to believe he survived 72 hours in the belly of a fish? What about Lazarus? Is it reasonable to believe he came to life after being dead for four days? What about the tower of Babel? Is it reasonable to believe God made them speak different languages?

Quote:
MM: Nevertheless, do you agree with Tom that the following insights imply the wicked will die or desire to die the instant they are exposed to the truth and the glory of God?

TE: I didn't say this, MM. I would like to ask you, yet again, to please present my ideas with my own words, or at least express my meaning accurately. Here you've added the words "the instant" which I've never said, not even once, and which are not to be found in inspiration.

Here's what I've said regarding this:

a.The wicked do not wish to be in heaven (their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves).
b.They long to flee from God, from heaven.
c.They love (choose) death.
d.They are destroyed as a result of their own decisions, as opposed to by the power of God.
e.Their destruction comes as a result of the harm they have caused to their own character, which causes God to be to them a consuming fire.

GC 622-665 is not talking about the wicked being in heaven or not wanting to be in heaven. They are on earth. They are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or without desiring death. Instead, they are motivated to take the New Jerusalem by force. They are about to attack the city when once again the glory of God engulfs them - without causing them to die or to desire death. God rains fire from above and raises fire from below. In this fiery environment the wicked turn upon one another with murderous intentions. They eventually die.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #99717
05/28/08 08:11 PM
05/28/08 08:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But I asked you to post a quote to support your theory, which you haven’t done yet.

I did. I produced the quote on using reasoning and intellect.

Quote:
Do you really believe God is incapable of raising everyone speaking the same language?

I didn't argue this.

Quote:
Doesn’t the incident at the tower of Babel prove God is able to cause people to speak different languages?

That God has the physical power to cause everyone to speak English is not the issue. The point is, it doesn't make any sense to interpret the passage literally. I also quoted this:

Quote:
I also stated that "Satan appeared to be by the throne, trying to carry on the work of God." I will give another sentence from the same page: "I turned to look at the company who were still bowed before the throne." Now this praying company was in this mortal state, on the earth, yet represented to me as bowed before the throne. I never had the idea that these individuals were actually in the New Jerusalem. Neither did I ever think that any mortal could suppose that I believed that Satan was actually in the New Jerusalem. But did not John see the great red dragon in heaven? Certainly. "And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns." Revelation 12:3. What a monster to be in heaven! Here seems to be as good a chance for ridicule as in the interpretation which some have placed upon my statements.

I think, if Ellen White were alive, she would be shocked at the thought that someone was interpreting her statement that the wicked would with one voice proclaim "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord" meant she thought God would cause everyone in the resurrection to speak English.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99719
05/28/08 08:18 PM
05/28/08 08:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Those pages are not talking about the same scene described on pages 662-665. She says they are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or desiring death. It couldn’t be worded more plainly.

It's clear to me that GC 662-665, DA 764, and GC 541-543 are all dealing with the subject of the destruction of the wicked. For example, from the GC 541-543 passage:

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited. (GC 541)

Isn't it clear this is dealing with the judgment of the unrighteous?

Quote:
GC 622-665 is not talking about the wicked being in heaven or not wanting to be in heaven. They are on earth. They are exposed to the truth and to the glory of God without dying or without desiring death. Instead, they are motivated to take the New Jerusalem by force. They are about to attack the city when once again the glory of God engulfs them - without causing them to die or to desire death. God rains fire from above and raises fire from below. In this fiery environment the wicked turn upon one another with murderous intentions. They eventually die.

I don't understand how you could read GC 541-543, or DA 764, and not understand that this is dealing with the judgment of the wicked. I've already quoted from GC 541 regarding this. From DA 764:

Quote:
Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16. (DA 764)

Isn't it clear that this is dealing with the thing as GC 622-625?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99720
05/28/08 08:36 PM
05/28/08 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Does something have to make sense to you before you are willing to accept it? How far are you willing to take this idea? What about Jonah? Does it sound reasonable to believe he survived 72 hours in the belly of a fish? What about Lazarus? Is it reasonable to believe he came to life after being dead for four days? What about the tower of Babel? Is it reasonable to believe God made them speak different languages?

I skipped this inadvertently.

The Scriptures tell us that we should be able to give a reason for the hope that is within us. Ellen White urges us to use sound arguments, that will bear close examination. This requires the use of reason. If we read something, and come up with some interpretation which we find unreasonable, then we must reject our interpretation, or change our minds regarding what causes us to perceive our interpretation as unreasonable.

I believe that God created all things, including this earth in 6 days. So I have no doubt that God has the power to do whatever He wants. So, for example, that God raised Lazarus makes perfect sense to me, as anyone with the power and ability to create the Universe would have the power and ability to raise the dead.

Regarding everyone raised speaking English, it seems to me that it doesn't take much intelligence to recognize that the reason that Ellen White wrote that the wicked would say "Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord" was simply because she herself spoke English, and thus wrote the phrase in English, not because she had any idea that those raised would all speak English. Similarly, if her native language had been some other language than English, say Portuguese, she would have written "Bendito Aquele que vem no nome do Senhor!" which would have no more implied that all will speak Portuguese than her writing it the way she did implies they will all speak English.

Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!