HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH #99778
06/03/08 03:34 PM
06/03/08 03:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Memory Text, quoted below, tells us why Christ came to this sinful planet:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45, NIV).

Christ came for two reasons:

1 - To serve.
2 - To give His life as a ransom for many.

This week's study will be focusing on the second reason.

Here is the link to the lesson study material:

http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/08b/less10nkjv.html

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Daryl] #99780
06/03/08 05:46 PM
06/03/08 05:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Some insights from the SOP:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

The "whole purpose" of Christ's mission was "the revelation of God." Both serving and dying accomplished this. It would be a mistake to view these as two different reasons, since His giving His life for us was simply a form of service (actually service in its highest sense, for the love of God is manifest in Christ giving His life).

Christ speaks of His mission in John 17, which probably was EGW's inspiration for what she wrote. Continuing a little later from the above quote:

Quote:
In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men.(ibid)

The reason Christ came was to reveal God. Christ's death supremely did this, in addition to every other aspect of Christ's life, character and teachings.

One more DA statement:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99786
06/04/08 01:57 AM
06/04/08 01:57 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I agree that the two I listed go together as one, however, the focus of this week's lesson is on the meaning of His death.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99787
06/04/08 02:22 AM
06/04/08 02:22 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Tom: what about the requirement of sacrifice of the Lamb of God to be the antitypical "shedding of blood for the remission of sin"? You emphasise "service" as the purpose of Christ's death...The accompanying book highlights the 'halftruth' of Abelard's "exemplary" or role model meaning of the atonement, clarifying the substitutionary suffering of God's wrath against sin in dying our death for us as he lived our life, too.

Now, I recall you on a previous occasion disassociating yourself from Abelard. Do you see no penal death for us which Jesus died for us as expressed in Rom 4:25 "He was delivered up for our offenses..."? Is it just that "the wages of sin is death" is not a penalty but a choice in your view?

So, you're aware of the straight line in Adams'lesson text and commentary book about Christ suffering our curse under the law. Just where do you differ with the church and lesson teaching on this topic?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99789
06/04/08 05:03 AM
06/04/08 05:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I agree that the two I listed go together as one, however, the focus of this week's lesson is on the meaning of His death.

My response to you was considering exactly this (the meaning of this death).

In the SOP, the chapter which most specifically and in detail considers the meaning of the death of Christ is "It Is Finished." The last quote I gave is from that chapter. The whole chapter is great.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99790
06/04/08 05:30 AM
06/04/08 05:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom: what about the requirement of sacrifice of the Lamb of God to be the antitypical "shedding of blood for the remission of sin"? You emphasise "service" as the purpose of Christ's death...The accompanying book highlights the 'halftruth' of Abelard's "exemplary" or role model meaning of the atonement, clarifying the substitutionary suffering of God's wrath against sin in dying our death for us as he lived our life, too.

Both Abelard and Anselm did not describe their views of the cross until a millenium after Christ's death. The them of Christus Victor was well known, however. Gustaf Aulen brought this to light in his book called "Christ Aulen." There are some good thoughts in Abelard's view, and I suppose something good could be found somewhere in Anselm's too, but they both are missing important features. I believe the Christus Victor idea comes the closest of any of the views which were formed before Ellen White came along.

Quote:
Now, I recall you on a previous occasion disassociating yourself from Abelard.

I think the idea he had that the love of God is revealed by the cross is a wonderful and important idea. However, I think there are some problems I see with his presentation. For example, I'm not sure that the theme of grace comes across clearly in his view.

Quote:
Do you see no penal death for us which Jesus died for us as expressed in Rom 4:25 "He was delivered up for our offenses..."?

No. There's nothing penal implied there. Ah, I see how you could see something penal there. I had to look at it a couple of times to see where you are coming from. You see something penal there because of the phrase "for our offenses." This is clearly a reference to Isaiah 53, I think you would agree. Here are a couple of other related texts to Rom. 4:25.

Quote:
Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.(Acts 2:22-24)

Quote:
For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:(1 Pet. 3:18)

The first passage speaks of how Christ was delivered up as well. It discusses how this was done ("ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain.")

The second passage discusses the purpose for this action ("to bring us to God.") The second passage is also a reference to Isa. 53, and I think Peter correctly interprets the meaning of Isa. 53, and of Christ's death here.

Quote:
Is it just that "the wages of sin is death" is not a penalty but a choice in your view?

Another version, Phillips, puts it this way "Sin pays its wages: death."

I see that there are two roads. One is the road of agape, which existed from eternity. The other is the road that Satan invented, the road of serving self, which leads to death, which is just another way of saying "the wages of sin is death." That is, if you go down the road of serving self, you will die. Not because God will kill you, but because the principle of life is love.

I agree there is a penalty for sin, but I think it is akin to the penalty for alcohol abuse or excessive cigarette smoking. If you drink excessively, God does not smite your liver, nor does He smite your longs with cancer if you smoke cigarettes. Can we say that there is a penalty for smoking cigarettes or excessive drinking? Certainly.

Quote:
So, you're aware of the straight line in Adams' lesson text and commentary book about Christ suffering our curse under the law. Just where do you differ with the church and lesson teaching on this topic?

I don't know. I'd have to look. I'm teaching the juniors.

One thing I'll mention, without having looked, is that the themes brought out in the chapter "It Is Finished" (IIF) are often given short shrift. There are at least 7 pages in this chapter, and various themes are covered. The penal idea is barely covered, if at all. I'd be interested to see if these ideas brought out in IIF are covered.

Also something else I commonly see is that the death of Christ is treated as if it were something separable from his life and resurrection. I believe this is because the penal idea emphasizes Christ's death as a payment to God, as a type of transaction which makes us legally right with God. In Scripture you never see Christ's death treated like this. At least, I can think of no case where Christ's death is treated in this way (i.e. separated from his life and/or resurrection, as a payment which solves a penal problem).

For example, in the two passages I quoted above, His death is intimately tied into the resurrection. Under the idea of Christus Victor, this must be the case. You don't have a victorious Christ without the resurrection.

One last thought I'll mention is that I can think of no place in Christ's teaching where He presented the idea that His death was to enable God to be able to legally pardon us. However, I seem the themes I mention being presented often in His teachings.

One last, last thought is that it is common to understand Scripture according to one's own culture. Anselm did this in developing his view, that the death of Christ was necessary to maintain God's honor. Similarly Calvin did this in developing the penal view (I think he was the first one to discuss this). In Paul's time, and before, the ideas which Calvin presented did not exist. The Hebrew concept of justice was restorative, not retributive.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99791
06/04/08 01:00 PM
06/04/08 01:00 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sunday's study is titled Born to Die.

Was Christ really born to die?

In other words, as asked in Sunday's study, Was it something that had to happen?

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Daryl] #99794
06/04/08 04:07 PM
06/04/08 04:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, Christ wasn't born to die. I remember that unfortunate heading from a similar study a few years ago. Jesus was born to "show us what God is really like." (John 1:18). In EGW's words, the "whole purpose" of His mission was "the revelation of God."

Now given the state of humanity, it was inevitable that Christ would be killed, so it was "something that had to happen."

Quote:
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

24Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

25For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

34For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

35Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

36Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. (Acts 2:22-36)

This is a nice passage. Christ was killed by evil men, inspired by evil angels, but the powers of evil could not keep Him in the grave.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Daryl] #99795
06/04/08 04:28 PM
06/04/08 04:28 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
"Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin." This sums up the means and measures of the salvation of us by God using the blood of unblemished sacrifices: Jesus fufilled the entire sacrificial system, having to sacrifice himself. Dying was required for saving us from the same, death.

Hebrews 2 says we live in fear of death without Christ, whose death dealt with him who has the power of death, which we had otherwise feared. Jesus died for us for the sake of agape, but the value of agape is that God's only begotten Son was willing to die for us while we were yet enemies, that is sinful enough to crucify him himself.

Showing God's love by dying was for the purpose of delivering us from the condemnation to the eternal death we feared all our lives. Jesus expressed self-less love for us to save us from death due us by dying our death...he didn't just die to show us love by dying.

Jesus had to die to save us from death.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99797
06/04/08 05:59 PM
06/04/08 05:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I certainly agree that Jesus had to save us from death. What is it that causes death? It's sin. So how does Jesus Christ save us from death? By saving us from sin.

Quote:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.(Matt. 1:21)

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!