HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99836
06/06/08 03:49 PM
06/06/08 03:49 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Your points...later - some of them invalid: is rebirth of John 3:3 without Jesus' death being salvivic - are we reborn simply by believing God's revelation in Jesus?

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99839
06/06/08 08:35 PM
06/06/08 08:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I see no evidence whatsoever from Jesus Christ that He saw His death in terms of enabling God to be able to legally forgive us. Do you?

Well, Ellen White doesn't use the term "legally," but she does say that

"Through Christ Justice is enabled to forgive without sacrificing one jot of its exalted holiness." {GCB, October 1, 1899 par. 21}

"Through him [Christ] mercy was enabled to deal justly in punishing the transgressor of the law, and justice was enabled to forgive without losing its dignity or purity." {ST, June 18, 1896 par. 2}

Which means that, if God forgave without the cross, His justice would lose its dignity and purity.

I asked about Jesus Christ. I said, "I see no evidence whatsoever from Jesus Christ that He saw His death in terms of enabling God to be able to legally forgive us."

In terms of Ellen White, we know from her account of how God treated Lucifer that Christ's death was not a legal necessity for the offer of pardon. God offered Lucifer pardon "again and again" without Christ's having died. He offered to restore Lucifer to his position, in addition to pardoning him, even after he had been organizing a rebellion, if he would confess his sin.

She writes:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.(DA 762)

If one looks at the entire chapter "It Is Finished," which is devoted to discussing what Christ's death accomplished, one sees the legal aspect barely mentioned. Something I find interesting is that even if there were some truth to the penal substitution idea, that would have to be a minor point in all that Christ accomplished. Again, in the 7 pages or so where EGW discusses this, it is barely mentioned. What about all the other things Christ's death accomplished? I hardly ever, if ever, see these things mention, except in passing, as a way to dismiss discussing them further.

For example, I don't recall ever seeing the quote from DA 762 I quoted above being discussed in any detail. Yet our beholding the character of God and being drawn mack to Him is the crux of the whole matter. Towering above any particular theories we may have regarding the atonement is to have a true understanding of God's character of love, to be drawn to Him, and having a personal relationship with Him because one loves Him and admires His values and the way He does things.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99841
06/06/08 08:47 PM
06/06/08 08:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Amen, brother Daryl! Brother Tom hasn't seen it yet...(!)

I think it's unlikely you or Daryl are seeing something I haven't seen. I mean, in terms of this specific question (I'm sure there are things you guys see that I don't). I originally came from a paradigm (before being familiar with the 1888 message) which would be very similar to Darryl's, and then after being acquainted with the 1888 message my paradigm became one like your (Colin). After thinking about things some more, my paradigm has shifted to be like the one Ty Gibson presents. Fifield's paradigm, from the 1890's, was very similar. It appears to me that Waggoner's was as well, although he didn't flesh things out on this question nearly as much as Fifield did.

Quote:
As Christ paid the legal requirement of the wages of sin, which is death, God is legally able to forgive us. Correct?
Corret, as per the sanctuary service and its fulfilment in & by Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

We await Tom's next comment.

As you can see, I'm asking for clarification on Daryl's statement to comment further.

Regarding viewing the sanctuary service as proof that there was a legal requirement for Christ to die, this is simply circular reasoning. Of course Christ died as prefigured by the sanctuary service. But what was the purpose for the death that was prefigured? That's the whole question. Not that there was a purpose, but what the purpose was. For example, Peter tells us that Christ died to "bring us to God." Could that be what we see prefigured by the sanctuary service?

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God.(PK 685)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99842
06/06/08 08:54 PM
06/06/08 08:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Your points...later - some of them invalid:

So most were valid then. I'll take that!

Quote:
is rebirth of John 3:3 without Jesus' death being salvivic - are we reborn simply by believing God's revelation in Jesus?

"Rebirth" means simply "conversion." We are reborn as we see things in a new way. That's what conversion is about; being changed from within, seeing things in a new way, operating from different principles. Of course there is also the reality of being part of a new family, the family of God, having become a child of God.

Here's the best description of this I know:

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

We are born again (or "saved," to use EGW's word here) as we "look and live."

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99843
06/06/08 11:13 PM
06/06/08 11:13 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
To "look and live" as sinners under the law involves more than healing a physical ailment as with Moses' bronze serpent...

Since we are sinful, agreeing and believing that God is good, holy, merciful, and died to show us his love - your singular point on this thread (?), doesn't save us, since the devils also believe, and tremble. Wanting Jesus as personal Saviour doesn't save either, because "how does one take him as Saviour and Lord"?

You haven't responded to the point of Rom 7:(1-)4. You appear to have ignored it! - it explains the basis for Lk 9:23 - denying self is only by the Romans text: participating in Christ's death to sin, self, and for us. Unless we can thus deny self by dying to sin in Christ, by grace - for and through faith, we cannot be reborn by 'looking and living'.

Since you insist that Christ's death "doesn't save" by being a salvation element, we couldn't avail ourselves of his self-sacrifice since it wouldn't have been a sacrifice for sin for us (Rom 8:3,4)...I believe, as perhaps you used to (as you yourself said earlier), that Christ died as me & instead of me as himself the sacrifice for sin (Rom 8:3,4), so that he by grace made Rom 7:1-4 true for all of us.

Saving us from sin involved every part of his human experience, including his death: we must die to sin, in and by Christ's death, to be able to deny self!...Or..., do you recognise and allow that we must rely on Christ's death for our death to sin - and our own sinfulness - in order to be born again and know the peace of God and the heart and life of Christ created in us by his Spirit, under Christ's Lordship.

Christ's death doesn't save us from eternal death; it isn't our death to sin and our sinfulness (both matters of law and justice!)? On the contrary, that's salvation by Christ's death!

I'll pause here, for further comment.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99844
06/07/08 12:26 AM
06/07/08 12:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
To "look and live" as sinners under the law involves more than healing a physical ailment as with Moses' bronze serpent...

Since we are sinful, agreeing and believing that God is good, holy, merciful, and died to show us his love - your singular point on this thread (?), doesn't save us, since the devils also believe, and tremble. Wanting Jesus as personal Saviour doesn't save either, because "how does one take him as Saviour and Lord"?

James point is that the devils don't actually believe. Their belief is false, which is why they tremble. James was not disputing Paul, that salvation is by faith, but was arguing against presumption, where one claims to have faith, but doesn't really have it. Saving faith saves, and is manifest by works, which is why James challenges the believer to show his faith by his works.

This is exactly in line with your point that "Wanting Jesus as personal Saviour doesn't save either". This is exactly correct. It is not wanting Jesus as a personal Savior that saves, but actually choosing to do so. It is not the desire to have faith, but the actual exercising of faith, which saves.

Quote:
You haven't responded to the point of Rom 7:(1-)4. You appear to have ignored it!

Well, my point was that I saw no evidence that Jesus Christ taught that He died so that God could legally forgive us. You responded by citing a bunch of texts, none of which were from Jesus. So yes, I did ignore these texts, because they were unresponsive, as it appeared to me.

Quote:
- it explains the basis for Lk 9:23 - denying self is only by the Romans text: participating in Christ's death to sin, self, and for us. Unless we can thus deny self by dying to sin in Christ, by grace - for and through faith, we cannot be reborn by 'looking and living'.

It will take more time to decipher this than I have right now, so I'll respond later. Thanks for fleshing out your thought, as it makes it easier to respond.

Quote:
Since you insist that Christ's death "doesn't save" by being a salvation element,

No, I haven't said this anywhere, I'm sure, as this is an essential element of the Christus Victor theme.

Quote:
we couldn't avail ourselves of his self-sacrifice since it wouldn't have been a sacrifice for sin for us (Rom 8:3,4)...I believe, as perhaps you used to (as you yourself said earlier), that Christ died as me & instead of me as himself the sacrifice for sin (Rom 8:3,4), so that he by grace made Rom 7:1-4 true for all of us.

I'll have to come back to this as well.

Quote:
Saving us from sin involved every part of his human experience, including his death: we must die to sin, in and by Christ's death, to be able to deny self!...Or..., do you recognise and allow that we must rely on Christ's death for our death to sin - and our own sinfulness - in order to be born again and know the peace of God and the heart and life of Christ created in us by his Spirit, under Christ's Lordship.

Christ's death doesn't save us from eternal death; it isn't our death to sin and our sinfulness (both matters of law and justice!)? On the contrary, that's salvation by Christ's death!

I'll pause here, for further comment.

Here's a quick response, which is rather a long one, as I'll be quoting a rather long item from C. S. Lewis.

Quote:
We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. That is the formula. That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed. Any theories we build up as to how Christ's death did all this are, in my view, quite secondary: mere plans or diagrams to be left alone if they do not help us, and, even if they do help us, not to be confused with the thing itself. All the same, some of these theories are worth looking at.

The one most people have heard is the one about our being let off because Christ volunteered to bear a punishment instead of us. Now on the face of it that is a very silly theory. If God was prepared to let us off, why on earth did He not do so? And what possible point could there be in punishing an innocent person instead? None at all that I can see, if you are thinking of punishment in the police-court sense. On the other hand, if you think of a debt, there is plenty of point in a person who has some assets paying it on behalf of someone who has not. Or if you take "paying the penalty," not in the sense of being punished, but in the more general sense of "footing the bill," then, of course, it is a matter of common experience that, when one person has got himself into a hole, the trouble of getting him out usually falls on a kind friend.

Now what was the sort of "hole" man had gotten himself into? He had tried to set up on his own, to behave as if he belonged to himself. In other words, fallen man is not simply an imperfect creature who needs improvement: he is a rebel who must lay down his arms. Laying down your arms, surrendering, saying you are sorry, realising that you have been on the wrong track and getting ready to start life over again from the ground floor - that is the only way out of a "hole." This process of surrender - this movement full speed astern - is what Christians call repentance. Now repentance is no fun at all. It is something much harder than merely eating humble pie. It means unlearning all the self-conceit and self-will that we have been training ourselves into for thousands of years. It means undergoing a kind of death. In fact, it needs a good man to repent. And here's the catch. Only a bad person needs to repent: only a good person can repent perfectly. The worse you are the more you need it and the less you can do it. The only person who could do it perfectly would be a perfect person - and he would not need it.

Remember, this repentance, this willing submission to humiliation and a kind of death, is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off of if He chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen. Very well, then, we must go through with it. But the same badness which makes us need it, makes us unable to do it. Can we do it if God helps us? Yes, but what do we mean when we talk of God helping us? We mean God putting into us a bit of Himself, so to speak. He lends us a little of His reasoning powers and that is how we think: He puts a little of His love into us and that is how we love one another. When you teach a child writing, you hold its hand while it forms the letters: that is, it forms the letters because you are forming them. We love and reason because God loves and reasons and holds our hand while we do it. Now if we had not fallen, that would all be plain sailing. But unfortunately we now need God's help in order to do something which God, in His own nature, never does at all - to surrender, to suffer, to submit, to die. Nothing in God's nature corresponds to this process at all. So that the one road for which we now need God's leadership most of all is a road God, in His own nature, has never walked. God can share only what He has: this thing, in His own nature, He has not.

But supposing God became a man - suppose our human nature which can suffer and die was amalgamated with God's nature in one person - then that person could help us. He could surrender His will, and suffer and die, because He was man; and He could do it perfectly because He was God. You and I can go through this process only if God does it in us; but God can do it only if He becomes man. Our attempts at this dying will succeed only if we men share in God's dying, just as our thinking can succeed only because it is a drop out of the ocean of His intelligence: but we cannot share God's dying unless God dies; and he cannot die except by being a man. That is the sense in which He pays our debt, and suffers for us what He Himself need not suffer at all.(Why did Jesus have to die? by C. S. Lewis)

Does this make any sense to you? I see things rather as C. S. Lewis has expressed things here.

It appears to me that your comments have not been directed at the point I was taking issue with (or have I misunderstood you?) My point has been that Jesus did not teach that His death was for the purpose of giving God the legal right to forgive us. I haven't seen you address this at all. You've been raising, it appears to me, new points which I haven't been discussing. I'm happy to do so, but I'm curious as to your feelings about the points I've been raising. In particular, do you disagree with what I said? (that there is no evidence that Jesus Christ taught that His death was for the purpose of giving God the legal right to forgive us)

If you disagree, do you feel that your responses have been explaining why, because if so, I'm completely missing how.

Thanks Colin.

Happy Sabbath!

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99845
06/07/08 01:14 AM
06/07/08 01:14 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, agreed, "gave" in Jn 3:16 is an indirect reference to God sacrificing his only-begotten Son from his throne in glory, forever(!).

Other texts are needed to instruct how to use this glorious promise. The one element of RBF you have left out is that spiritual death to sin precedes repentance and rebirth. Rom 7:4 states Jesus supplies this experience by his death for sin: you agree with this link, for which Jesus' death saves us from the curse of the law, in that the law condemns sinful sinners to the 2nd death?

The texts I quoted from Paul's letters stating Christ's death according to law only prove that Jesus didn't argue the legal issues of his death - goodness sake, his 12 didn't even support his determination to sacrifice himself...he told them he had much more to teach them that they weren't yet ready for: Paul taught the church these truths after meeting Jesus in vision following his own baptism in Damascus. That Paul wrote doesn't mean Jesus didn't know or not mean it when he died! You weren't excluding Paul's "Romans" and other writings for lack of express 'coroborration' by Jesus in the 'gentle' gospels, are you? Paul is as authoritative...

B4 I deal with your misinterpretation of texts re sacrifice, the sacrificial system taught the coming Messiah's substitutionary death for us sinful people. What purpose of substitution? Suffering the wrath of God against sin, and thus God was propitiating for us - a total break with heathen religions' human propitiation! Thus, too, God is both Judge and Advocate - totally unlike western justice, indeed.

As for your Ps 51 and Rom 12 quotes, you're missing the forest for the sap in the wood: a contrite heart is renewed spiritually by sincere sacrifice and confession - NOT without sacrifice...!! David was condemning pompostuous religion, of course. The Apostle Paul was summing up the spiritual walk which is enabled by sacrifice - verily Christ's! - not rendering his sacrifice as vain.
 Quote:
Colin, it seems to me you are simply reading into texts an idea which you already have, rather than considering what the texts would have meant to the people to whom they were written. There is no historical or cultural foundation for either those who spoke or heard or read these words to have understood them along the lines of which you are speaking.
Tom, given my texts, you sound almost historically critical here. "Heirs of Christ", the testator's testament of Hebrews, back up Rom 7:1-4 to make Christ's death the death of the everlasting covenant and the centrepeace of the gospel. If you repeat such sentiments again, I shall consider that you're not just having a bad day.

There can be only one true theory of the atonement. Personal relationship with Jesus is the beginning of faith, no doubt, but you think one can be Adventist without finally understanding the truth of the atonement??! If only to arrive @ mature faith, we need to experience full atonement with God. Yes, how God made propitiation with himself for us must be grasped for else there can be no final atonement by Jesus for our lack of understanding sin and righteousness! Unless Jesus was made the curse of the law for us in & by his death, we would still under the curse of the law against our sinful nature and record and there would be no salvation for Christ would have died in vain.

Ezek 19:20 I think it is: "The soul that sins shall die." Since God is the Judge, that is the rule of law - with legal requirements for saving from that law, and Jesus saves us according to this rule of law in Scripture.

Last edited by Colin; 06/07/08 01:30 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99846
06/07/08 01:53 AM
06/07/08 01:53 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Excerpting SOP's "Salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ" you wrote
 Originally Posted By: Tom
Salvation is "through faith," which is to say, it is the mechanism by which we are saved.
Well, no: By grace are we saved through faith. Justification is experienced through faith, but grace remains the mechanism of salvation: by which it happens;.it is experienced, accessed, through faith. Otherwise grace is not sufficient.

One must reason and not just take statements as apparently, logically accurate....the meaning is easily missed otherwise, eh.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99847
06/07/08 02:16 AM
06/07/08 02:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Excerpting SOP's "Salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ"
Salvation is "through faith," which is to say, it is the mechanism by which we are saved.
Well, no: By grace are we saved through faith.

Salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ, correct? Do we agree on this point?

Quote:
Justification is experienced through faith, but grace remains the mechanism of salvation: by which it happens;it is experienced, accessed, through faith. Otherwise grace is not sufficient.

One must reason and not just take statements as apparently, logically accurate....the meaning is easily missed otherwise, eh.

I'm not following you here. What do you mean by saying "not just take statement as apparently, logically accurate?" Do you mean to say that the statement (I assume by this you are referring to the EGW statement) is apparently logically accurate, but in reality isn't? What meaning is easily missed by taking the statement that it can not be repeated often enough that salvation is by faith in Jesus Christ alone?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99848
06/07/08 03:54 AM
06/07/08 03:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, agreed, "gave" in Jn 3:16 is an indirect reference to God sacrificing his only-begotten Son from his throne in glory, forever(!).

I'm not understanding why you said that John 3:16 makes no mention of Jesus' death when apparently you understand that it does. What was your point?

Quote:
Other texts are needed to instruct how to use this glorious promise.

I think Jesus did a fine job in explaining it.

Quote:
The one element of RBF you have left out is that spiritual death to sin precedes repentance and rebirth. Rom 7:4 states Jesus supplies this experience by his death for sin: you agree with this link, for which Jesus' death saves us from the curse of the law, in that the law condemns sinful sinners to the 2nd death?

Here is Waggoner's comment on this:

Quote:
The Illustration. It is a very simple one, and one which every one can understand. The law of God says of man and woman, "They two shall be one flesh." It is adultery for either one to be married to another while the other is living. The law will not sanction such a union.

For reasons that will appear later, the illustration cites only the case of a woman leaving her husband. The law unites them. That law holds the woman to the man as long as he lives. If while her husband lives she shall be united to another man, she will find herself under the condemnation of the law. But if her husband dies, she may be united to another, and be perfectly free from any condemnation.

The woman is then "free from the law," although the law has not changed in one particular. Least of all has it been abolished; for the same law that bound her to the first husband and which condemned her for uniting with another in his lifetime, now unites her to another and binds her to him as closely as it did to the first. If we hold to this simple illustration, we shall have no difficulty with what follows.

The Application. As in the illustration there are four subjects, the law, the woman, the first husband, and the second husband so also in the application.

We are represented as the woman. This is clear from the statement that we are "married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead," which is Christ. He therefore is the second husband. The first husband is indicated in verse 5: "When we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death." Death is the fruit of sin. The first husband, therefore, was the flesh, or "the body of sin."

"Dead to the Law." This is the expression that troubles so many. There is nothing troublesome in it, if we but keep in mind the illustration and the nature of the parties to this transaction. Why are we dead to the law? In order that we might be married to another. But how is it that we become dead in order to be married to another? In the illustration it is the first husband that dies before the woman may be married to another. Even so it is here, as we shall see.

"One Flesh." The law of marriage is that the two parties to it "shall be one flesh." How is it in this case? The first husband is the flesh, the body of sin. Well, we were truly one flesh with that. We were by nature perfectly united to sin. It was our life. It controlled us. Whatever sin devised, that we did. We might have done it unwillingly at times, but we did it nevertheless. Sin reigned in our mortal bodies, so that we obeyed it in the lusts thereof. Whatever sin wished, was law to us. We were one flesh.

Seeking a Divorce. There comes a time in our experience when we wish to be free from sin. It is when we see something of the beauty of holiness. With some people the desire is only occasional; with others it is more constant. Whether they recognise the fact or not, it is Christ appealing to them to forsake sin,and to be joined to him, to live with him. And so they endeavour to effect a separation. But sin will not consent. In spite of all that we can do, it still clings to us. We are "one flesh," and it is a union for life since it is a union of our life to sin. There is no divorce in that marriage.

Freedom in Death. There is no hope of effecting a separation from sin by any ordinary means. No matter how much we may desire to be united to Christ, it can not be done while we are joined to sin; for the law will not sanction such a union, and Christ will not enter into any union that is not lawful.

If we could only get sin to die, we should be free, but it will not die. There is only one way for us to be freed from the hateful union, and that is for us to die. If we wish freedom so much that we are willing [for self] to be crucified, then it may be done. In death the separation is effected; for it is by the body of Christ that "we" become dead. We are crucified with him. The body of sin is also crucified. But while the body of sin is destroyed, we have a resurrection in Christ. The same thing that frees us from the first husband, unites us to the second.

This seems to me to be saying the same thing I've been saying. Do you see any difference?

Quote:
The texts I quoted from Paul's letters stating Christ's death according to law only prove that Jesus didn't argue the legal issues of his death - goodness sake, his 12 didn't even support his determination to sacrifice himself...he told them he had much more to teach them that they weren't yet ready for: Paul taught the church these truths after meeting Jesus in vision following his own baptism in Damascus.

So you are agreeing with me that Jesus did not teach this. I accept this. Your idea then is that Paul taught a theology which Christ did not teach. This I disagree with. I believe that Paul was explaining the same concepts, preaching the same Gospel, that Jesus did.

Quote:
That Paul wrote doesn't mean Jesus didn't know or not mean it when he died!

I simply stated there was no evidence that Jesus taught that His death was necessary in order for God to be able to legally forgive us. It seems to me you are completely in agreement with this.

Quote:
You weren't excluding Paul's "Romans" and other writings for lack of express 'corroboration' by Jesus in the 'gentle' gospels, are you? Paul is as authoritative...

as Jesus is? I disagree. Jesus is "the revelation of God." (EGW). When we see Jesus, we've seen the Father. I can't imagine that Paul, or Ellen White, or any other servant of Jesus Christ would claim to be as authoritative as He was.

Quote:
I deal with your misinterpretation of texts re sacrifice, the sacrificial system taught the coming Messiah's substitutionary death for us sinful people.

What interpretation? Do you mean my quotations of Ps. 51 and Romans 12? That's the only thing I can recall mentioning. How are these texts misinterpretations of the meaning of sacrifice?

Quote:
What purpose of substitution?

The purpose of substitution is stated eloquently by EGW. Christ suffered the death that was ours that we might receive the live that was His.

Quote:
Suffering the wrath of God against sin, and thus God was propitiating for us

I agree that Christ suffered the wrath of God against sin. The passage from Acts 2 I've been quoting explains this, as does the end of Romans 4.

Regarding God's "propitiating for us", I agree with this, understanding that "propitiate" means "make peace with" (wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn). For example:

Quote:
having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled (Col. 1:20, 21)

Quote:
- a total break with heathen religions' human propitiation!

If by this you have reference to the vain efforts of main to find favor with God by one's own efforts, I agree.

Quote:
Thus, too, God is both Judge and Advocate - totally unlike western justice, indeed.

This similarity with what I perceive your view to be and the Western perspective is the emphasis on retribution as opposed to restoration, not that one party plays more than one part.

Quote:
As for your Ps 51 and Rom 12 quotes, you're missing the forest for the sap in the wood:

What does this mean?

Quote:
a contrite heart is renewed spiritually by sincere sacrifice and confession - NOT without sacrifice...!!

David's point was that a contrite heart is what God desires. This is the meaning of sacrifice. Paul makes the same point. When we, with contrite heart, recognize the sacrifice of God in giving us His Son, our reaction will be, assuming we respond to the Holy Spirit, to give ourself to Him. This is the meaning of sacrifice.

Quote:
David was condemning pompous religion, of course. The Apostle Paul was summing up the spiritual walk which is enabled by sacrifice - verily Christ's! - not rendering his sacrifice as vain.

My point was that what David and Paul wrote were expressions of what sacrifice meant to the cultures of their time. It was not only the Hebrews who had this idea. Nobody had Anselm's or Calvin's idea. The purpose of sacrifice was to express one's devotion to one's Deity. All cultures shared this concept, and none had Anselm's or Calvin's idea.

Quote:
Colin, it seems to me you are simply reading into texts an idea which you already have, rather than considering what the texts would have meant to the people to whom they were written. There is no historical or cultural foundation for either those who spoke or heard or read these words to have understood them along the lines of which you are speaking.

Tom, given my texts, you sound almost historically critical here.

We don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water, do we? The methodology of considering what the historical context was is absolutely correct in the understanding of literature, whether inspired or not. If we wish to understand Ellen White, we should understand how she used language and what the language she used was understood by her contemporaries. Similar logic applies to Scripture. When the different authors wrote, they expected that their words would be understood in a specific way, and understanding their culture and how their contemporaries would understand their words is a great help.

Quote:
"Heirs of Christ", the testator's testament of Hebrews, back up Rom 7:1-4 to make Christ's death the death of the everlasting covenant and the centrepeace of the gospel. If you repeat such sentiments again, I shall consider that you're not just having a bad day.

What sentiments? That there is no historical or cultural foundation for people understanding things along the lines of Anselm or Calving before these men's times? I assume this is what you are referring to. What evidence is there for this? What Christian between the time the NT was written and a millennium later understood things along the line that Anselm or Calvin laid out?

Quote:
There can be only one true theory of the atonement.

There are many metaphors used to explain the atonement. It's a subject that will be studied throughout eternity. It's not something anyone here has exhausted.

Quote:
Personal relationship with Jesus is the beginning of faith, no doubt, but you think one can be Adventist without finally understanding the truth of the atonement??!

Do you mean by this without believing what Anselm or Calvin taught? If so, yes, I believe one can be an Adventist without believing these things. I can't think of anyone who has expressed the concepts of the atonement more clearly than Ty Gibson. He's certainly an Adventist.

Quote:
If only to arrive @ mature faith, we need to experience full atonement with God.

Assuming this means "at-one-ment," or reconciliation, I agree.

Quote:
Yes, how God made propitiation with himself for us must be grasped for else there can be no final atonement by Jesus for our lack of understanding sin and righteousness! Unless Jesus was made the curse of the law for us in & by his death, we would still under the curse of the law against our sinful nature and record and there would be no salvation for Christ would have died in vain.

Are you saying here that one must think like Anselm and Calvin did in regards to propitiation in order for their to be a complete atonement? If so, I disagree. Here's something from Waggoner regarding propitiation:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry with men that he will not forgive them unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.0 "And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death." Col. 1:21, 22. (Waggoner on Romans)

I agree with Waggoner's comments here. They seem to me to be in harmony with what I've been saying.

Quote:
Ezek 19:20 I think it is: "The soul that sins shall die." Since God is the Judge, that is the rule of law - with legal requirements for saving from that law, and Jesus saves us according to this rule of law in Scripture.

I should really write at length regarding this (perhaps I will in the near future), because this is the crux of our disagreement. You see the condemnation that comes from the law as something arbitrary (by which I mean imposed, not a natural consequence) whereas I see condemnation as the direct result of the choices which one makes, and the law as a recognition, not a cause, of this reality. IOW the law is descriptive of reality, as is the text you cited.

It is a fact that the soul that sins will die. Why? Because of some action of the law? No. The law simply recognizes and warns of the reality of the situation. Even if there were nothing written, no law, which said explicitly "if you sin, you will die," it would still be the case that those who sin die.

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!