HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99904
06/12/08 04:19 PM
06/12/08 04:19 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Tom,

Considering your defence of the Christus Victor view and also considerinig that you have used the eastern orthodox holding to this view as an argument of historical context, my question is. How important is this piece of theology for you in the overall scheme of things? Would you for instance consider joining an eastern orthodox fellowship because of it? Or will you prioritise the doctrines of sabbath and the great controversy theme higher and thus stay an adventist? How far are you willing to go to live up to this commitment for the Christus Victor view of salvation history?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99906
06/12/08 04:46 PM
06/12/08 04:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Does God/his law pardon us without dealing with our sin & guilt to do so?

No. The way He deals with our sin & guilt is by healing us of our guilt and saving us from our sin.

Quote:
Was "forgive them for they know not what they do" not possible only because of his own self-sacrifice?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Christ asked His Father to forgive those who were persecuting Him. Christ's self-sacrifice was not necessary for God to be able to hear Christ's prayer. It was similar to Stephen's prayer as he was dying. He was simply reflecting the spirit of Christ, the character of God, in so doing.

Quote:
As for Fifield: propitiation is by definition "suffering God's wrath" (depending which of that or expiation one views as involving wrath), but neither means a sacrifice "for sin": each is an appeasement sacrifice! - toward God, either with or without wrath involved. I hope Fifield was sincerely mistaken in arguing that Christ died to appease our sin, reconcile our sin with God.

Fifield didn't write anything like that Christ died to reconcile our sin to God. Where do you get such an idea? I hope you were sincerely mistaken in arguing that Fifield died to reconcile our sin to God. \:\)

Quote:
Wrath in or out, but, please, no propitiation for sin.

This is 1 John 4:10, Christ is "the propitiation for our sins."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99907
06/12/08 04:51 PM
06/12/08 04:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Fifield: He did not have any grudge against them. He would like to forgive everybody. But why could he not do it? - It would annul his law, if it was an arbitrary law; but if it were not, it would lead men to go into sin, and sin and death would result.

Colin:The sentence including the bold words doesn't make sense: an arbitrary law annulled for being 'kind' while a law tempting us into sin isn't arbitrary.

This sentence from Fifield has totally confused me.

Me:What Fifield is saying is that if the law were something arbitrary, meaning that it prescribed an imposed or artificial penalty, as opposed to describing the actual results of what happens when one acts contrary to the principles of God's love, then God by arbitrarily forgiving would annul such a law. But since the law is not arbitrary, but instead describes a real problem, which is that those who act contrary to the principles which God espouses will experience misery, pain and death, God had to take action which would solve these real problems.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99911
06/12/08 05:53 PM
06/12/08 05:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Considering your defence of the Christus Victor view and also considerinig that you have used the eastern orthodox holding to this view as an argument of historical context, my question is. How important is this piece of theology for you in the overall scheme of things? Would you for instance consider joining an eastern orthodox fellowship because of it? Or will you prioritise the doctrines of sabbath and the great controversy theme higher and thus stay an adventist? How far are you willing to go to live up to this commitment for the Christus Victor view of salvation history?

I view SDAism as a continuation of the Reformation. I think there was great light at the time just after Christ, the time of Paul, John and so forth, and that this light started diminishing until the Middle Ages when, with the Reformation the light started to be rediscovered. So things like the Sabbath, the immortality of the soul, and so forth were lost sight of.

I see the concept of the "Great Controversy" as a great feature of SDAism, to which a great deal of credit should go to Ellen White. She did not originate the concept, but she developed it to a far greater degree than had existed. I think this concept is a tremendous mechanism by which one can view truth, including the question of why Christ had to die. I think it's superior to Christus Victor, as we have light through the Spirit of Prophecy that those before her did not have. I think Christus Victor is the best of the available views before the Great Controversy idea came about.

My point in mentioning the Eastern Orthodox view is to make clear that the idea of penal substitution did not exist for over a thousand years. Every other thing that we believe existed earlier than that. The Sabbath existed, the idea that the soul is not eternal existed, all sorts of ideas in relation to Christ's divinity/humanity existed, but the penal substitution idea did not exist. If it were really the case that Paul, John, and Jesus had this idea in mind when discussing the death of Christ, wouldn't someone, somewhere before Calvin have got it? That's the question I've been asking.

There are many SDA's who have, and have had, the ideas I've been expressing. For example, it seems to me that E. J. Waggoner had the ideas I've been sharing, or, at a minimum, something very close. George Fifield, a contemporary of Waggoner, had the views I've been sharing, and, indeed, I've been quoting from him extensively. Among modern SDA's, Ty Gibson is a well known author who shares the view I've been presenting.

I believe that God chose the SDA church as a vehicle by which a message should be preached to prepare the world for the coming of Christ. I believe some day the SDA church will preach this message. So I am an SDA.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99915
06/12/08 08:17 PM
06/12/08 08:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Returning to a couple of points I've been making.

1)There is no evidence that Christ taught that He had to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon us.
2)There is no evidence that anyone had this idea until Calvin.

No one had systematized the doctrine of righteousness by faith until Luther, and no one had the idea of an investigative judgment until the SDA pioneers. So?

It seems to me you are saying that God’s forgiveness has nothing to do with Christ’s sacrifice, but has to do only with man’s attitude of repentance in face of Christ’s sacrifice.

This, to me, is in total disagreement with the doctrine of righteousness by faith as exposed by the Bible and by Ellen White.

“Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus” (Rom. 3:24-26).

“Justice demanded not merely that sin be pardoned; the death penalty must be met. The Saviour has met this demand. His broken body, his gushing blood, satisfied the claims of the law. Thus he bridged the gulf made by sin between earth and heaven. He suffered in the flesh, that with his robe of righteousness he might cover the defenseless sinner.” {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 6}

She says clearly that the death penalty must be met to satisfy the claims of the law. It’s not that God must kill those who transgress His law – it’s that sin must be judged, and this produces in the transgressor a weight of guilt which inevitably leads to death. This is the penalty of the law, the legal requirement which Christ met. Our sin was judged in Him, so that we don’t have to face its judgment and bear the weight of its guilt. To be in harmony with His own character, God couldn’t abstain from judging sin, God couldn’t pardon without judging sin, so He judged it in Christ. God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned and, at the same time, sin could be judged and condemned as it should be.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #99916
06/12/08 10:55 PM
06/12/08 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Returning to a couple of points I've been making.

1)There is no evidence that Christ taught that He had to die in order for God to be able to legally pardon us.
2)There is no evidence that anyone had this idea until Calvin.

No one had systematized the doctrine of righteousness by faith until Luther, and no one had the idea of an investigative judgment until the SDA pioneers. So?

Your response is rather indirect. I'll try to interpret it, and you can tell me if my interpretation is correct.

You seem to be implicitly agreeing the points that I made, but don't think these points are important, for reasons exemplified by that fact that no one had systematized the doctrine of rbf until Luther, nor had the idea of an investigative judgment been taught until SDA pioneers did so. Is this correct?

Quote:
It’s not that God must kill those who transgress His law – it’s that sin must be judged, and this produces in the transgressor a weight of guilt which inevitably leads to death. This is the penalty of the law, the legal requirement which Christ met. Our sin was judged in Him, so that we don’t have to face its judgment and bear the weight of its guilt.

I agree with this somewhat, but I see it differently. What I see is that God reveals sin to an individual, and that revelation produces in such a one a weight of guilt which leads to death. This doesn't happen arbitrarily, but happens simply because of the reality of sin and God's character. The principle is explained here:

Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.(DA 108)

The righteous are willing to be purged from sin, and thus are able to abide God's presence after the resurrection. The wicked are unwilling to do so, and cannot. Just a little earlier we read:

Quote:
In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.

Also

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

So we see that the revelation of God's character has an opposite effect upon the righteous and the wicked. To the righteous, it is life. To the wicked, it is death. It is the revelation of God's character which judges and condemns sin. Not by an arbitrary action on His part, but as something which flows forth spontaneously by virtue of who He is, just as in the case of only the pure in heart being able to abide in Christ's presence.

So the whole problem is sin. Not an arbitrary act on God's part to judge or condemn sin, but sin itself. If man could be purged from sin, then he could abide in God's presence, and all would be fine.

It is not God's judgment of or condemnation of sin, as a separate action undertaken by Him or something other than God simply reveling His love (e.g. "the glory of He who is love will destroy them") that causes the wicked to die, but sin itself, by virtue of what it does to their character, in unfitting them to abide in God's presence.

Quote:
To be in harmony with His own character, God couldn’t abstain from judging sin, God couldn’t pardon without judging sin, so He judged it in Christ.

Here's something from GC 543:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

Isn't this judging sin?

Quote:
God Himself provided the means through which we could be pardoned and, at the same time, sin could be judged and condemned as it should be.

Nothing arbitrary needs to be done to judge or condemn sin. Say you have a loved one who takes drugs. You've seen the effect that drugs does to this person. You judge and condemn drugs. Why? Because they cause misery, suffering and death to your loved one. There's no need to affect some other person with drugs and have that person die in order for some requirement you have that drugs be judged and condemned by you.

Now if somehow the death of another would prevent your loved from suffering the effects of drugs, then such a sacrifice would make sense. I see the impact of Christ's sacrifice brought out here:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God.(DA 762)

By Christ's sacrifice, we are drawn back to God. This is just what we need.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99917
06/12/08 11:07 PM
06/12/08 11:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This is the penalty of the law, the legal requirement which Christ met. Our sin was judged in Him, so that we don’t have to face its judgment and bear the weight of its guilt.

I wanted to make another point in reference to what's being said here, as this gets to the crux of the matter of our difference. What I perceive you to be saying is that God acts differently to the wicked than how He acts towards the righteous. He does one thing to one group, and another thing to the other group. To the wicked, He does something, He judges sin and condemns it, which causes their death. To the other group, because they complied with conditions which were set forth, God doesn't do this same thing. So the wicked die, and the righteous live, because God treats them differently, depending upon whether or not they complied with the conditions He set forth.

I see God treating both groups the same, and that one group dies and the other group lives because of what they have done to themselves, in the former case, and because of what they have allowed God to do in the latter.

The light of the glory of God, which gives life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. The light of the glory of God is the same, but the result of this light is different, depending on one's character. The same sun bakes the clay but melts the ice.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99919
06/13/08 12:44 AM
06/13/08 12:44 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
I notice, Tom, you clearly avoided commenting on Rosangela's SOP quotes, contrasting with her comments instead. That's not fair: you must deal with EGW quotes which add to the quotes presenting your, limited argument. Come on (to use Delia Smith's famous rallying cry to "her", own - personally owned - football club, Norwich City, in Norfolk, England): Let's be having you!

As for different treatment by God between the saved and the lost, you suggest Rosangela is writing about, I'm sure Rosangela was not omitting (in argument or thinking) from her Rom 3 quote the 3 verses immediately before her quote...where differences are cancelled by God himself in dealing with fallen man: "...for there is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [all (in the Greek)] being justified freely by his grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus".

Let's try to reduce silly suggestions, hey?;-)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99920
06/13/08 01:05 AM
06/13/08 01:05 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
What I perceive you to be saying is that God acts differently to the wicked than how He acts towards the righteous. He does one thing to one group, and another thing to the other group. To the wicked, He does something, He judges sin and condemns it, which causes their death. To the other group, because they complied with conditions which were set forth, God doesn't do this same thing. So the wicked die, and the righteous live, because God treats them differently, depending upon whether or not they complied with the conditions He set forth.

I agree that one group dies because of what they have done to themselves and the other group lives because of what they have allowed God to do. But I see this as just part of the truth. I see Christ’s death as substitutive and meritorious and, as such, as making a fundamental difference in relation to the judgment. On the Day of Judgment, God will manifest His abhorrence for every sin that was ever committed – except the sins for which He has already manifested His abhorrence on the cross and which have already been forgiven. That’s why I agree with Luther’s words: “Mine is Christ's living and dying as if I had lived his life and died his death.”

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Colin] #99921
06/13/08 01:13 AM
06/13/08 01:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I notice, Tom, you clearly avoided commenting on Rosangela's SOP quotes, contrasting with her comments instead.

That's because I've commented on them many times already. Regarding Rom. 3:23ff, I agree with Waggoner's take, which I've already quoted on this thread.

Regarding YI, April 16, 1903 par. 6 I've commented on this quite a few times (at least the thought) on this thread.

There's no need to just keep repeating things I've already said, is there? I'm trying to move the conversation forward.

Quote:
That's not fair: you must deal with EGW quotes which add to the quotes presenting your, limited argument. Come on (to use Delia Smith's famous rallying cry to "her", own - personally owned - football club, Norwich City, in Norfolk, England): Let's be having you!

I've dealt with the quote. For example, I mentioned that God offered to pardon Lucifer many, many times, according to EGW. If EGW held the view that the death of Christ was necessary in order to pardon, how could God have done so in Lucifer's case? Does "the wages of sin is death" apply to men but not to angels?

Speaking of things which are not fair :), I've been trying to quite a long time now to get an answer regarding my question as to whether you agree with my assertion that there is no evidence that Jesus Christ taught that His death was necessary in order for God to legally forgive us. You have implied this, and I supplied your quote which did so, but then you wrote some things which caused me to doubt if you really meant to imply what your quote implied, so I asked for clarification. You have not clearly stated whether you agree or disagree with my assertion. This is one of two questions I've been trying to get an answer to. I'll leave the second one for now, pending an answer to this one.

Quote:
As for different treatment by God between the saved and the lost, you suggest Rosangela is writing about, I'm sure Rosangela was not omitting (in argument or thinking) from her Rom 3 quote the 3 verses immediately before her quote...where differences are cancelled by God himself in dealing with fallen man: "...for there is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, [all (in the Greek)] being justified freely by his grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus".

In the judgment, according to her way of looking at things (it appears to me) the reason the wicked die and the righteous don't is because God judges and condemns sin in the case of the wicked (which results in a burden of guilt being brought upon them, which they cannot handle) whereas He forgoes doing this in the case of the righteous, because the righteous have met a condition. I'm not understanding your comment regarding Rom. 3 in this context.

Btw, Colin, do you recognize the Rosangela's view is very different from your own?

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!