HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 3,077 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99964
06/15/08 03:33 PM
06/15/08 03:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here are a couple of points made by Kim Fabricus, a minister at Bethel United Reformed Church in Swansea, Wales:

Quote:
It is usually claimed that the doctrine of penal substitution is Pauline (indeed, pre-Pauline), but Paul Fiddes observes that while Paul certainly thought of Christ’s death in terms of “penal suffering” (since “Christ is identified with the human situation under the divine penalty”), Calvin’s doctrine requires the additional idea of the “transfer of penalty” – and this theory “requires the addition of an Anselmian view of debt repayment and a Roman view of criminal law” (Calvin, remember, was trained as a lawyer!). A fortiori, to cite patristic evidence for the doctrine is anachronistic.

Quote:
It is also usually claimed that St Anselm (c. 1033-1100) anticipated Calvin. Insofar as Calvin was dependent on Anselm’s view of debt repayment, and also added to Anselm’s feudal emphasis on the compensation of God’s honour his own late medieval emphasis on the expiation/propitiation of God’s wrath, this claim is true. However, in contrast to Calvin, for Anselm punishment and satisfaction are not equivalents but alternatives: aut poena aut satisfactio. For Anselm, Christ is not punished in our place; rather he makes satisfaction on our behalf. Therefore Anselm does not propound a doctrine of penal substitution. “Indeed, in the end,” according to David Bentley Hart, “Anselm merely restates the oldest patristic model of atonement of all: recapitulation.”

These bring out a couple of points which came to mind. The first is this (from the first paragraph):

Quote:
A fortiori, to cite patristic evidence for the doctrine is anachronistic.

The second is this:

Quote:
Therefore Anselm does not propound a doctrine of penal substitution.

So (assuming the correctness of the points made) there are problems with asserting that Calvin's ideas are merely a reformation of Anselm's (I agree with the point being made here, they are not), and also with the idea that patristic literature had in mind the same concepts as Calvin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99967
06/15/08 03:53 PM
06/15/08 03:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Some thoughts regarding "ransom" and "debt". As I was thinking about Jesus' comments, I thought about what His statement that He came not to be served but to serve, and give His life a ransom for man, would have been understood by His hearers. There is a 0% chance that they would have understood along the lines that Calvin laid out, that Christ's life was necessary in order for God to be able to legally pardon man. This line of thought would have been totally foreign to a 1st century Jew. So how would it have been understood?

The most natural understanding, it seems to me, is that it would have been understood in terms of releasing captives from bondage.

This is from a random sermon online:

Quote:
Now why is his death called a ransom? "The Son of Man came to give his life a ransom for many." Ransom is a good translation. The Greek word here (lutron) meant just that—a payment to release someone from some kind of bondage: prisoners of war, slavery, debt. So the implication is that Jesus sees his death as a ransom to release many from bondage. He is paying what they cannot pay so that they may go free.

Interestingly, the preacher ascribes to the penal substitution view, but I agree with the main observation made in this paragraph, that Christ is paying what the slaves cannot be in order that they may go free.

This begs a few questions:
a)What is it that holds the captives in bondage?
b)How does the giving of Christ's life free the captives?

It seems clear to me from Christ's teachings that what holds captives in bondage is sin. So Christ gave His life to free us from sin. This seems to me to be Christ's clear teaching.

To extrapolate from Christ's statement that He came not to serve but to be served and give His life as a ransom for many that He meant to communicate that His death was necessary in order for God to be able to legally forgive sin seems to be a gross form of eisegesis. No 1st century Jew would have understood Jesus' words in this way. Calvin's view seems to have been first formulated by Calvin himself.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99968
06/15/08 04:13 PM
06/15/08 04:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
So (assuming the correctness of the points made) there are problems with asserting that Calvin's ideas are merely a reformation of Anselm's (I agree with the point being made here, they are not), and also with the idea that patristic literature had in mind the same concepts as Calvin.

I disagree with both points. Many times what happens is a gradual process, in which an idea is presented, another person builds upon it and modifies it, and thus successively, until a view is systematized. So yes, I believe there are elements of the penal substitution theory in the patristic literature, which are further developed in Anselm, and that Calvin built upon these previous ideas.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99969
06/15/08 04:14 PM
06/15/08 04:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I missed (oversight on my part) responding to this earlier.

Quote:
(Rosangela)I agree that one group dies because of what they have done to themselves and the other group lives because of what they have allowed God to do. But I see this as just part of the truth. I see Christ’s death as substitutive and meritorious and, as such, as making a fundamental difference in relation to the judgment. On the Day of Judgment, God will manifest His abhorrence for every sin that was ever committed – except the sins for which He has already manifested His abhorrence on the cross and which have already been forgiven.

This just looks like you are agreeing with what I stated is the crux of our difference. I see the fate of the wicked as being determined by their own choice, which ruins their character, resulting in their death, not because of any special or different treatment which they receive from God. You are reiterating the point of view I said you have, which is that the wicked die because of God's treating them differently. To the wicked, He will manifest His abhorrence for their sins, which results in their death. To the righteous, who satisfied a specified condition, He won't do this.

His treatment of the two groups is what determines their fate. He treats the two groups differently because one group met with the condition specified, and the other didn't. I'm not understanding how what you wrote here is different from what I stated in regards to the difference of our views.

Quote:
That’s why I agree with Luther’s words: “Mine is Christ's living and dying as if I had lived his life and died his death.”

I agree with this too.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99970
06/15/08 04:18 PM
06/15/08 04:18 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
It seems clear to me from Christ's teachings that what holds captives in bondage is sin. So Christ gave His life to free us from sin. This seems to me to be Christ's clear teaching.

To extrapolate from Christ's statement that He came not to serve but to be served and give His life as a ransom for many that He meant to communicate that His death was necessary in order for God to be able to legally forgive sin seems to be a gross form of eisegesis. No 1st century Jew would have understood Jesus' words in this way. Calvin's view seems to have been first formulated by Calvin himself.

The key element is the price paid to free the slave. If someone had been sold as a slave because of a debt, the amount paid to free him had to be exactly equivalent to that debt.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99972
06/15/08 04:28 PM
06/15/08 04:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
His treatment of the two groups is what determines their fate. He treats the two groups differently because one group met with the condition specified, and the other didn't. I'm not understanding how what you wrote here is different from what I stated in regards to the difference of our views.

Maybe it isn't. My point was that God will manifest His abhorrence of sin. However, if sin is no longer within you, if it was forgiven and no longer exists, this won't affect you.

Quote:
R: That’s why I agree with Luther’s words: “Mine is Christ's living and dying as if I had lived his life and died his death.”
T: I agree with this too.

Do you consider Christ's death as substitutive and meritorious?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99976
06/15/08 06:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God is obligated to Himself, to His law, and to His justice to enforce the execution of the death penalty upon sinners. This is one of the many reasons why Jesus died. Because Jesus paid our sin debt of death on the cross God can justify forgiving and saving penitent sinners (instead of having to execute them). It is a legal matter by virtue of the fact it involves the law.

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99977
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God is obligated to Himself, to His law, and to His justice to enforce the execution of the death penalty upon sinners. This is one of the many reasons why Jesus died. Because Jesus paid our sin debt of death on the cross God can justify forgiving and saving penitent sinners (instead of having to execute them). It is a legal matter by virtue of the fact it involves the law.

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

“In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

“Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99978
06/15/08 07:01 PM
06/15/08 07:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I disagree with both points. Many times what happens is a gradual process, in which an idea is presented, another person builds upon it and modifies it, and thus successively, until a view is systematized. So yes, I believe there are elements of the penal substitution theory in the patristic literature, which are further developed in Anselm, and that Calvin built upon these previous ideas.

Those who lived centuries before Calvin did not have his world view. They weren't lawyers. They didn't understand the system of justice under which Calvin operated. The would not have, and could not have, thought in the terms Calvin was thinking in.

Anselm's views was steeped in medieval feudalism.

As pointed out:

Quote:
However, in contrast to Calvin, for Anselm punishment and satisfaction are not equivalents but alternatives

also

Quote:
Calvin’s doctrine requires the additional idea of the “transfer of penalty”

Regarding http://www.beginningwithmoses.org/bigger/punishedinourplace.htm, (Garry Williams article), an important point was not addressed. The Eastern Orthodox church does not accept Anslem's idea of satisfaction. Why not? Because they split off from the Catholic church before Anselm penned it. Their principle reason for rejecting the view is precisely because it doesn't appear in either the Scriptures or the writings of the fathers.

E.g.

Quote:
A third figure who shaped Western theology but whose concept of soteriology was never accepted in the East is Anselm of Canterbury. He maintained that the purpose of Christ's death was to pay satisfaction to the honor of God, which had been injured by human sin. Again the theme is the legal relationship between human beings and God. Humankind is in debt to God, and the debt cannot simply be dismissed; adequate satisfaction must be tendered. Since humankind is unable to provide this required satisfaction, God supplies it in the death of Christ In the words of Justo Gonzales:

"This treatise by Anselm was epoch-making. Although they did not follow it at every time, most later medieval theologians interpreted the work of Christ in the light of this treatise. After them, most Western theologians have followed the same path, although this manner of understanding the work of Christ for mankind is not the most ancient in the writings of the Fathers, nor does it appear in the main thrust of the New Testament'.

With this judgement the Orthodox Church agrees and charges the West with deviating from the original concept of salvation." (http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/16889.htm)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #99979
06/15/08 07:11 PM
06/15/08 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The key element is the price paid to free the slave. If someone had been sold as a slave because of a debt, the amount paid to free him had to be exactly equivalent to that debt.

The point is simply that Christ did what was necessary, which was to give His life, in order that we who were slaves to sin might be set free. Again, there would have been no concept in the mind of 1st century Jews that Christ was paying a price in order to provide a legal mechanism for God by which we could be pardoned.

Quote:
Maybe it isn't. My point was that God will manifest His abhorrence of sin. However, if sin is no longer within you, if it was forgiven and no longer exists, this won't affect you.

Ok, you're last sentence agrees with my point of view. The problem in this case is simply to remove sin from us. How does this happen? We must be born again. How are we born again?

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. (DA 175, 176)

Here we see the role of the cross in our being saved from sin.

Quote:
In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.(DA 108)

If a person is not clinging to sin, He will survive the judgment. A person needs to be freed from sin. As you correctly point out, if the sin is no longer within, then being in God's presence won't be a problem.

Reply Quote
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!